Monday, July 28, 2014

Behavior Management

Last year, I did a clip chart for my classroom behavior management technique.
First of all, it got old for some rather quickly. Most could not have cared less if their clip was moved down. It didn't seem to phase them (even with the consequence).
Second, I had three boys that got very emotional when they had to move their clip down to just yellow (warning). One would even almost hyperventilate. Another would turn red and the other wouldn't do much for the rest of the day because he was pouting.
So, it got old for students and it also got old for me. I never intended my behavior plan to make students cry (on a daily basis too since these particular three really struggled with their behavior).
I'm trying something new that I saw in a classroom when I was subbing two years ago. The teacher talked about above the lines, top line, middle line,
and bottom line behaviors. For each type of behavior, there is a space for the students to have their magnet. I made more of the same magnets that I use for breakfast, so if you like them and want to know how I made them, you can look in the "new breakfast procedure" post.

So, there are only four spaces (which is nice). The top is for the best of the best behavior. One down from the top is where everyone starts the day. The next one down is when consequences begin (since I will be giving 3 specific verbal warnings before magnets are moved). The bottom one is where...well, let's just say a student will have to hit, threaten, push, spit on, cuss at, or do other unspeakable things to another student, teacher, or himself to go all the way to the bottom. My intention is for the students to stay in the green space for as long as they need. Ex. If they get 3 warnings and still don't correct the behavior, their magnet will move down and they will receive a consequence. If the behavior continues or other misbehavior arise, the 3 warnings will be given again and another consequence will be given. Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule.

Students will always be able to move back up from the green space, but not the yellow (bottom line). It's like hitting rock bottom, if you will.
So, I will be giving this a try and I have my fingers and toes crossed hoping it will work!

No comments:

Post a Comment