Friday, August 1, 2014

Pinterest Project

I'm not sure who the genius person is who originally came up with this idea, but I am in love with my new bucket seats! I already had 3 of the crate seats that are great for storage and plus I use them in my reading corner. These, however are going straight to my guided reading table. Partly because they are the correct height, partly because they are so adorable, and partly because I get tired of watching students lay back in their chairs all lazy like while I'm trying to do small group reading or an LLI lesson!
Anyway…
To make these, all I got were 4 buckets with lids (from Lowe's- buckets were roughly $3 a piece and lids roughly $1.50 a piece), fabric (one yard (doubled) at $3 from Hobby Lobby) and ribbon (two kinds- both on sale for $1 a roll at hobby lobby. I bought two rolls of each kind). I already had the poly-fill (fluffy stuff as I call it) to make the cushions that someone had given me. So, I'm not sure where to get it or how much. I'm guessing any craft store would carry it and it wouldn't be much. Oh, and duct tape! Can't forget that duct tape!
Alright…
First, I folded out the doubled yard of fabric and cut into fourths. Then, I laid out the poly-fill on the back side of one of the fabric pieces until I felt it was enough. Next, I laid the top of one of the lids on top of the fluffy stuff and started bringing in the corners of the fabric and taping it to the bottom of the lid. (Right about now, Mrs. Strutton is kicking herself for not taking pictures of this process to make it easier for everyone.) Then, (after taking the handle off of a bucket…you may leave on if you wish) I pressed the lid onto the bucket. Once you get that thing on there, it will be extremely difficult to get off. I suggest that you fold the little pieces of fabric under the lid that may be making "bubbles" (Hey, it is hard to make a square piece of fabric fit a circle, ok?). Once all of that is finished, it is time to tie the ribbon. As you can see, my ribbon is layered. You may do as much or as little ribbon as you want. While you are tying the ribbon, it would probably be a good idea to  hot glue it to the bucket so it doesn't slide.
Well, that's it. That's how I made my bucket seats. I'm not sure if this is the best, correct, or original way to make them, but it was my first attempt and it was a success!
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment